Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Remembering 11-4-08

                                                           The Best Day Ever.

Many people can recall moments where they felt so accomplished and proud of their efforts. But there is a feeling that tops personal achievement. When you can share in someone’s else victory to the point that you in some way, feel like its your own, now that’s a true accomplishment on November 4, 2008 I had that amazing feeling.


I will never forget the moment in which I call the “best day ever.” I remember waking up at 5 in the morning to get ready to walk to my local church with my mom and twin sister in hopes of making history! This was my first time I was able to vote in a presidential election. I remember feeling anxious and having butterflies in my stomach as I walked in and took my place in line. Looking around at all the different age groups of people from young to old made me feel like we could really pull this off. The lines were pretty long but that didn’t make a difference to me I had to get my vote in a.s.a.p. walking into the voting booth all I could do is smile as I pulled the curtain closed. I found Obama lever, took a deep breathe and pulled it, I felt relieved that I finally did it! After all this waiting for 11.4.08. I finally voted!

From the time I got back home all I could do was watch coverage about the election and see what the progress was, just seeing all types of people reacting to this big day was amazing to me but the day consisted of machines breaking down, long lines. but people knew how big of a day this was so even though things weren’t going completely perfect they didn’t let that stop them from getting there vote in, no matter how long it took they stayed in line. The rest of the day felt like I was in a movie and nothing that was going on was real, it just couldn’t be.

It was now almost 9:00 pm so my mom, aunt and, I headed to church for prayer and to wait for the results to find out who won the presidential election. It was two big projectors placed in the church to show who was in the lead and every time Obama won in another city and his votes went up I felt like I was going to pass out, I remembering feeling hot from all the excitement. After prayer we headed downstairs to celebrate what we “hoped” to be the day history was made. I glanced around the room to look at everyone, everyone seemed so happy and just thankful for what we already accomplished even if he didn’t win we still would be thankful for what we did accomplish already. It was now 10:00 pm everyone was down in the basement celebrating with food, music. It was so many people that I had to stand up for most of the night but that didn’t bother me or stop me from having a good time. At 10:03 pm Obama had 207 electoral votes needing 270 to win. The basement was equipped with televisions and I remember I kept keeping a eye on the T.V and watching to see what was going on. Everybody kept txting my phone with with latest on what’s happening. I remembering I messaging my sister “OMG I’m so scared what if he doesn’t win?” but she reassured me it was in God’s hands. As it hit 11:00 pm I glanced at the T.V and I seen “Breaking News” then it said “ Obama Wins” the whole church went crazy I started jumping up and down and screaming “we did it.” that moment has to be one of the best I have had experience EVER. It felt as if I won even though I’m not him or even know personally but I felt a connection with this man who was now officially My President. The United State of America Conquered what we have been trying to conquer for a while now and it felt amazing. We finally have a Voice that has to be heard no-matter who accepted it or not. Watching his victory speech and seeing all those people celebrate this wonderful moment the very beginning of his victory speech that night stuck with me “if there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.” - President Barack Obama.

The most Defining moment of your life can be the most simplest thing taken place but for me it was witnessing history and being apart of such historical moment I will never forget Nov. 4, 2008. I always knew I could do whatever I put my mind to but now I have someone to look up to who fought so hard to achieve something he truly believed in even when others told him he couldn‘t . witnessing such an event I know All things are truly possible if you believe.


----//-> I wrote this a lil after the election for my eng. college course on remembering an event & i thought i would share it with you all.

6 comments:

  Anonymous (November 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM)

beautiful.
it was a beautiful moment in history. i remember it like yesterday also and im in canada! his affect on the world and us in it is amazing!

  Anonymous (November 6, 2009 at 8:18 AM)

it was a beautiful moment. is that your new tattoo?

  OB (November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM)

you put this perfectly into word, I love it!!!

  CompulsoryStyle (November 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM)

i got that tattoo last yr. the day after he got elected. & thanks ladies i got an A + on that paper.

  Neesh B Fly (November 7, 2009 at 1:17 AM)

That's whats up make me wana go get one now..lol but it was a great day

  CompulsoryStyle (November 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM)

lol! thanks mama!

My Awards